Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pretty Plus; Walking Dead book 4; Tattoos and Tequila; Shit My Dad Says; Pretty in Plaid; Lady of Quality; The Passage

Lots to update, but I have a wicked good excuse: I just got back from Wisconsin where I went to a GB Packers/Minnesota Vikings game. I GOT TO SEE BRETT FAVRE PLAY AT LAMBEAU FIELD. True, he was in the wrong colors, but still, it was amazing. Incredible. Unbelievable. Anyway, moving on to books!
"Pretty Plus" by Babe Hope was really helpful guide on how to look good and choose clothes that flatter you even if you don't wear a size 1, which I certainly don't. While she specifically wrote it for plus size gals, which I'm also not, I thought her tips and hints were helpful for all shapes and sizes, and the next time I do some serious clothes shopping I hope I remember how to pick out items that flatter. It was a great guide, and her tone was wonderful, not the least bit "go, big girl!" or anything lame like that.
Robert Kirkman continues "The Walking Dead" series in book 4. The prison's safety is compromised after the Governor and his crew arrive to exact revenge for what Michonne did to him (shouldn't have left him alive, girl). Lori gives birth to a little girl they name Judy, and when the governor's crew comes Lori and Judy are both killed while trying to escape, leaving Carl and Rick alone with no where to go. Just when you think things couldn't get any sadder, they do. I'm really looking forward to the AMC's premiere of the show next Sunday. It looks great!
"Tattoos and Tequila" by Vince Neil chronicles his life as part of the hard parting heavy metal band Motely Crue. It was a quick and forgettable read, actually, kind of boring. He doesn't have Tucker Max's storytelling gift, that's for sure!
"Shit My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern is a hilarious collection of wise gems that come effortlessly out of his dad's mouth. Halpern started a Twitter feed to collect his dad's advice, and it went viral because it's freaking hilarious. A lot of it was actually quite sage and spot on. I hope there's a sequel. Justin's dad--keep on talking, please!!
More laughs with Jen Lancaster's "Pretty in Plaid", in which she talks about her early years, high school and college, and what she wore and what it all meant to her. As usual, Jen is witty, charming, and irrepressible. Great read.
I have a few guilty pleasures in life, and Georgette Heyer is one of them. She's like a silly, trashy version of Jane Austen (who I just cannot read. So boring). Heyer is funny and her books have wonderful dialogue full of historical slang and charming roguish characters. "Lady of Quality" was no different. I loved the happy ending.
And finally, Justin Cronin's "The Passage" has had great word of mouth buzz and is huge right now. I liked it but there were parts I didn't like. The plot had a lot of holes and I found it hard to suspend disbelief in some areas. The ending was bleak and miserable, not at all what I wanted after slugging through 700 pages. But the characters were great, very realistic and memorable, and it was a page turner. I guess I was just disappointed there wasn't a happier ending. Or at least more closure. Perhaps I'll read some more Georgette Heyer :)

No comments: